Thursday, April 24, 2008

"Spice Jar Gift"


My friend Nancy made similar jars like these for her door prize at stamp mania. Nancy put rub ons on the sides of her jars. I thought they were super cute and I had to make my own. For the candy, I used cherry sours, lemon sours and green apple hard candy for mine and used the matching stamps for the tops. I really love how they turned out. Don't know who is going to get them yet but I had to make them. The box movie candy that you can get at Walgreens fits perfectly in the jars. But you could put practically anything in them.

Here is a close up of the lids. I colored the images with SU markers and punched them out, matted them and that was it. Then I wrapped ribbon around the lids and used a glue dot to add a separate bow. I also attached the paper with glue dots to the lids.

Where can you get these cool jars to decorate you ask? You can get them at Cost Plus World Market. They come in a 4 pack for $3.99. Yes, $3.99. With tax they come to around $1.15 each and when you add the candy it will cost you around $2 per jar. How is that for a cheap cute gift to say thank you or for a quick birthday treat for one of the kids in your kids class. You could also make them for a hostess gift, club project, or teacher gift, the possibilities are endless. The jars come in two different types, round and cylinder. Get the round jars, they have the flat sides and they lean forward. I also heard there are similar jars at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents each and some at IKEA.
Stamps: Tart and Tangy
Paper: Real Red, Glorious Green, Yo Yo Yellow, Whisper White
Ink: Yo Yo Yellow
Accessories: SU Markers, SU Scallop Punch, SU Circle Punches, SU Red, White, and Green Apple Grosgrain Ribbon

19 comments:

Michelle Whitlow said...

Those are absolutely adorable! I think they'd make a great teacher year-end gift :)

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!!! Your jars are soooooo cute. You did a great job. I love the idea that you matched the inside candies to the decorated lids. CUTE - CUTE - CUTE!!!

Margaret S

Nancy said...

These are adorable! And who would have thought that Cost Plus had these most affordable jars. Very cute!

JoAnna Goodman said...

I absolutely love, love, love these! I must make some!!

Tamara said...

Those are so cute! I believe that IKEA also sells similar jars for those of us without a Cost Plus. I don't know how much they are, but everything at IKEA is really reasonable :)

Melissa said...

So, so so cute!

Many Blessings,
M.

Diane said...

What a sweet idea! They're awesome!

Michelle said...

Oh Oh Oh!!! LOVE these little jars. I just bought ONE from a $2 shop in Australia (yes, $2 for just one jar) and I'm desperate to try and find some here. My DH wouldn't let me bring back the 20 that I wanted, as we were REALLY overweight (luggage, not us) coming home. OK, so we were a little overweight also...!
Great Job Rochelle!
Michelle SBS10

Courtney said...

These are adorable. I am already in love with the tart and tangy set. Now I'm on a mission!

Thanks for your visiting my blog! :)

Unknown said...

Super cute, nice job! We have a store around here I think, have to check into that.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. I have some of these jars...I got mine at IKEA I think...must dig them out!

Charmaine

Lorri said...

These are SO CUTE!! May have to add these an a gift for my tart and tany class! VERY creative!
~Lorri

Shellie Shufelt said...

These jars are adorable! I love the way you decorated them. I'm thinking they'd be so cute for Christmas too with Christmas ribbon and those miniture ribbon candies inside!

Tammy said...

Oh my--these are absolutely adorable!! Guess I need to go shopping!!!!!! :-)

Thanks for sharing!!

Sara in WI said...

Adorable project!
Sara in WI

Kristine Reynolds said...

Love how these turned out!

Jennifer Orbaker said...

How cute are these!!! What a perfect gift!

Latisha said...

They do have them at Ikea, I was just looking at them today wondering what I could do with them lol

Lauri said...

I just got back from Ikea and picked up a set of 4 for $2.99! I think this will be a Mother's day gift for my sisters! Thanks for the idea!