Thursday, June 26, 2008

"Message In A Bottle"


I made this for my nephew back in MN. I took a 2 liter bottle of pop and washed it out and filled it with a few things for my nephew. I put a flashlight, monster truck, some stretchy bugs, a sun visor, and a box of animal crackers inside. I cut the bottle with a box cutter in three places to make a three sided "door" in the bottle. Then I put the paper inside and filled it with goodies. I used packing tape to close it and taped on an address label cause I am sending it to him in the mail. Cute ha? I added the ribbon just for the picture I am not mailing it with that on it. I have another one that I am making that will not be mailed. For that one I am going to fill it with stuff and then add paper around the bottle to decorate it. I didn't decorate this one on the outside because it is getting mailed. These are fun to give as birthday gifts. For girls you could fill it with a hair brush, some scrunchies, and barrettes. Maybe a stuffed animal. You could put what ever fits inside. They are fun to make and I bet super fun for the person that gets it to try to figure out how to get their stuff out. For the one I am not mailing, I am not gonna tape it closed. That way when they take off the paper around it they can get to their stuff easily. I would also suggest that if you are mailing it I wouldn't put anything "appealing" inside that people can see, so that no one takes it. I got most of the things inside mine with stuff from the $1 spot at Target.

8 comments:

Courtney said...

What a nifty idea! I'm sure he will love it!

Anonymous said...

You come up with some of the best ideas. I can't wait to try one of these with my grandkids, I know they will just love it.
Thanks,
Eliz.P

Anonymous said...

I just love this idea...how did you create the 3 sided door? Thanks for all the inspirational ideas!!!
Rhonda L.

Anonymous said...

I just love this idea...how did you create the 3 sided door? Thanks for all the inspirational ideas!!!
Rhonda L.

Nancy said...

Wow...what a neat idea! Love it.

Doris said...

Way cool--what a great idea! I'm definitely trying that for my granddaughter's birthday.

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful idea!

Anonymous said...

Roman LOVED LOVED LOVED it! It was so cool to open the mailbox and pull out the pop bottle. All the neighborhood kids were around when we got our mail that day, and they were all excited and interested to peek inside and see what could be in there. It created quite the neighborhood buzz! You picked out the perfect stuff to fill it with too!

Thanks so much Auntie Rochelle! Roman's so lucky to have such a cool aunt!

Love ya!
Renee and Roman